Sunday, October 24, 2010

Addons: Long Live wMarker

Addons: wMarker
Current Wowcraft build: 4.0.1


LuckyCharms2 is dead. Long live wMarker!

I am sad beyond words that I did not find this addon months ago (although to be fair, it appears to have been uploaded the first time on Aug 20, so... two months?).

Nearly a year ago, I made a post in the WowInterface forums, asking for recs for a good LDB raid-icon marking addon. I got six replies, but sadly, none of them worked out. One was flat-out broken, one was not a click-to-assign-icons at all, and 3 appeared to do exactly what LuckyCharms2 did, only less well. The sixth was an addon called OPie, the coolest-looking addon that does not fit my playstyle in any way I could think of. And I tried so hard to make myself find a reason to keep it, but for me, it was more of a hassle than a help.

I really just need to click a mob, and click a skull, and the mob will have a skull. Click a mob, click the x. And ideally, this dream addon would fit into my ChocoBar.

When 401 hit and LuckyCharms2 became Do Not Resuscitate, I wondered how long I could last without a raid icon marking addon. The answer: about three minutes of combat. So I dug up my old thread and prepared to edit/bump it with a new impassioned cry of "help!" But something in the back of my head said, 'go check out those old recs.' So I did.

They still didn't look like they were going to work for me. But then the little voice went, 'well, before you post, look through the Raid Mods category. maybe you'll get lucky."

I got lucky. Ecstatically lucky.

Meet wMarker (Wowi).

wMarker frame locked from moving.

wMarker frame unlocked and ready to move.

wMarker by itself doesn't plug into an LDB frame. In fact, I had to go into ChocoBar's settings and reassign it's strata to be 'Background' (or 'Low' or something like that). Once I did that, wMarker 'rides over' my ChocoBar, and kinda pretends it's an LDB addon. Kinda.

wMarker with no border, top and center of my screen, with ChocoBar strata set to Background.

If you DL wMarker from Wowi but you don't have 'load out of date addons' checked, you will need to toc-cheat it to make it work. Don't worry, it won't break anything. And wMarker does not appear in your Interface Addons list, you will need to use the '/wm options' command to open the options box.

I could break into all-caps right now and start exulting about how freakin' happy I am that this addon exists, and that I found it and it works and YAY. But you can just imagine me over here, squeeing over a simple raid marking addon. I'm happy ^__^.

3 comments:

  1. Raidmobmarker HUD > any marking addon, IM not so humble opinion. Keybind it to a key, press it, select an icon, done. Addons that only take screen estate when I need them are win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I forgot the link to go with it:

    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/raidmobmarker-hud.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kadomi my problem is that I need one that very specifically takes zero keybindings. Everything I can feasibly reach in combat (and some things that are difficult) is already bound. And should I actually find additional keys I can use, I'll need them for more combat-oriented this-effect-needs-to-happen-RIGHT-NOW type stuff. Raidmarking, while it often needs to be quick, doesn't need to be as quick as... shield wall, taunt, last stand, healpots, lifebloom (herby heal, i think i got the name wrong), the... 'consume enrage to heal self' one that has the orangy bullface icon, etc.

    is it good or bad that i know abilities by what key they're on, and not so well by their name >_> i'm voting for not so good on the not knowing names part : p. anywho.

    the 'hides till needed' part is indeed points in raidmobmarker's favor X D. more things ought to be hides-till-needed.

    ReplyDelete