Thursday, March 4, 2010

Addons: AtlasLoot

Addons: AtlasLoot
Current Wowcraft build: 3.3.2

Usually I write up posts and go over them a bit to polish them before I post. For example, I have at least four posts in the polishing stage, because I feel like I can't get them quite like I want them ^_^. This one is coming a bit off the cuff. (Ooh, livin' wild.)

It was mentioned in our guild forum today that people should not forget about the awesomeness that is (barely) contained in the websites Wowhead and Wowwiki. These sites are both database-style information sites about Wowcraft, similar to Thottbott (sp?) but more... user-friendly, in our opinions. If you're looking up specific information about something -- an item, a crafted item, an npc, a quest, especially if you know something about it already, usually a name or even a part of the name -- then Wowhead will quickly tell you what you need. If you want more qualitative information about general concepts -- what's the spell hit cap? what's a good JC leveling guide? I'm just now rolling a pally for the first time, what are the differences in the specs and how should I gear? -- Wowwiki, being a wiki, has a lot of user-generated and -edited and -polished content. They both have their uses, and each site has things that it does better than the other; you can't really completely value one over the other. But the post reminded me...

To remind you about AtlasLoot!

AtlasLoot (Curse|Wowinterface) is a loot browser. Have a level 30 rogue and want to know which Scarlet Monastery bosses drop upgrades? Look up each of the SM wings and get a list of drops. Tooltips allow you to easily compare to your currently equipped gear. Just hit 80 and want to know what dungeons you should run for upgrades while you're saving EOT for your T9? You can look all that up.

But geez, you say, all those upgrades from all those different dungeons. I'll never remember all this.

Here's the awesome part I just discovered: AtlasLoot allows you to make Wishlists. Yeah yeah, I'm sure I'm months* behind a bunch of people in knowing this. But this is seriously cool.

(* - ok, my guildies say "at least like a year." shrup. I was tanking. >_>)

Install AtlasLoot (note to self, make a how-to on how to install addons). Open the game. At first, it should prompt you to 'customize your AtlasLoot experience', which you should do. I usually click 'Make Loot Table Opaque' and 'Show Comparison Tooltips.' (There's a small chance that there will be an icon with a little brown chest hanging around your minimap. But wait, you installed Chocolate Bar, you don't want stuff clinging to your minimap! In the options, click 'Hide Fubar Plugin' and I think that makes it go away.)

Click the AtlasLoot icon in your Chocolate Bar to open AL. In the lower left-hand corner, you'll see the Wishlist button.

Click that Options to be taken to the game's Interface options. Expand the AtlasLoot options and choose Wishlist.

(The above image is significantly wider than my current layout; you may want to open this link in a new tab with Ctrl-Leftclick so you can see the whole thing.)
I just now realized that so far, I've been talking about my addons in alphabetical order. Heh. Anyway. Click that "Add Wishlist", choose an icon, name it, then click the "Add Wishlist" that's next to "show more icons". Voilia, a wishlist.

Now, browse to anything you want to 'bookmark'. I chose the ilvl 245 non-set hit cloth pieces, as well as some other random stuff to just shove into a wishlist to show you want it looks like. When you get to the piece you want to save, Alt-Leftclick and it will give you a little drop-down menu similar to the first picture up there. Mouse over 'Own Wishlists', choose your list, click, and poof. Added.

To access your lists, do like the first picture but choose Own Wishlists and then your list. AtlasLoot divides the gear by acquisition, like such:


To remove an item from the wishlist, Alt-Leftclick the item and it will be gone immediately.

Now tell me: how freakin' handy is this! Why did I not know about this when I was gearing my warrior and my priest?? Augh! I'll just try to not think about it. I know about it now, and now you do too.

This addon was super-handy to begin with, and it became even MOAR handy right now. Get it, use it, love it, and tell your guildies. Too. Freakin. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment