Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Addons: Raid Package: DBM Omen Recount HB ORA3 LC2

Addons: The Raid Package
Current Wowcraft build: 3.3.3.

Ok, technically, 3.3.3 is patching while I type this. Close enough!

Some guilds require certain addons in order for you to raid with them. My guild doesn't really require anything, addon-wise... but there are some that are just far too useful to have. It should be noted that none of these are bar mods or unit frame mods, also, that most of these are useful even in 5-mans or soloing.

Deadly Boss Mods - deadlybossmods.com - some people use something else but I have never found DBM to be insufficient in any way (except that I wish it still had information for old BC/vanilla fights (TWIN EMPS ;_;) ). You can set or de-select for announcements for anything the boss can do; you can have boss frames on your screen (Stalag/Feugen, or the 4 Horsemen, or Gluth if you're on zombies... sorry that all my examples come from Naxx, I'm a tank and usually have the boss targeted on single-boss fights X D); it will tell you when to run from Flame Wall on Sarth; it will tell you how many stacks of The Debuff your other tank has, so you know when to taunt. It's just so handy. And necessary. Git it. Luff it. Keep it updated ^_^.

Omen Threat Meter (Curse|Wowinterface) - yes, the game has API for threat, including the little red-shadow-coloration thing. But this will show you just how much threat the tank has over the next dps. If you tank or dps, you need this. If you heal, maybe not so much.



Recount (Curse|Wowinterface) - if you want to raid, you need to know what your DPS is. Protip: your DPS is not equivalent to the damage you deal on a crit. Just because you can crit for 4k does not mean you do 4k dps. To get a good idea of what DPS you can do, get Recount and go through 5 different heroics with as much different group makeup as possible. Reset the data between each run, and average the 5 numbers you get. Add about 400 to get your projected 10-man dps number, and add ~800 to get a projected 25-man dps number.
ALL FIGHTS ARE DIFFERENT. THE PLAYER IS NOT EQUIVALENT TO HIS DPS NUMBER ON ANY SINGLE FIGHT. Recount is a tool. I'm assuming you're not a tool yourself, and can use this tool wisely.
Recount also tells you a lot of other handy info (hps, overheals, and more).

As you can see, hunters should be nerfed. (J/k... I clearly didn't screenshot the VOA-25 pug where the 3 rogues from my guild were all top dps.)

Healbot - (Curse|Wowinterface) - Some people live and die (and rez) by Grid, or Clique, or other addons. I could never get used to Grid on my priest. Also, I don't play my healy alts enough to have all the uncommon mouse-click-keybinds memorized; I need that reminder tooltip. Healbot has come a long way over the past 6-8 months in adding useful and necessary functionality. If you tried it before then and didn't like it, give it another shot.

ORA3 (Curse|Wowinterface) - not compatible with ORA2, but does stuff better. This one will show you CDs of things like warlock soulstones, druid battle rezzes, paladin DIs, warrior shield walls, things that are good to know when you're leading a 10- or 25-man raid and need to call out brezzes or whatnot. But, the other people that you're getting the info from also need to run ORA3. So even if you don't want to see all this yourself, run it in the background while you raid. Never know when it will come in handy. Especially if you're a druid.

(I'll try to get a better screenshot later; we're doing a 25-man tonight, so I'll see if we end up using brezzes and things.)
Also I think it does other handy things, but I haven't played around with them enough just yet. Still, if you raid, ask your raid leader if they want to use this... chances are they will like it enough that they'll say "sweet, yeah, let's do this."

LuckyCharms2 - ok! I just spent 2 hours Googling the internet, trying to find where this addon has disappeared off to! The other tanks in my guild keybind Raid Icons to F-keys... but all my F-keys are spoken for. The non-tanks who bother to raid mark do it with the slow slow slow way of "right click target name, mouse to raid icons, mouse to icon and click." The Curse links are gone, Wowinterface returns no results on search... I don't know what happened to it. I'm really surprised such a great addon has gone MIA. Technically, I'm also surprised there aren't more good raid-icon-marking addons in the first place. How do people mark without a clicky addon?

Seriously. Comment and let me know how you mark icons on targets. I really actually want to know.

Update, Aug 2, 2010: Like me, Tankadin.com wants to know where LC2 went. Fortunately, he's hosting build 2.8.2 at that link right there, so hopefully one-click raid-marking is back in business. Snag this quick before the internet hiccups again X D.



Next post will probably be about bar mods and unitframe mods. Which means lots of screenshots. So it might be a bit. Plus servers should be going up soon. So.... it might be a bit ^__^.

1 comment:

  1. http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/rib.aspx

    super small bar that shows up somewhere inconspicuous if I have a target, soooo much easier than the tedious click->click->click. :)

    ReplyDelete