Sunday, March 21, 2010

I'm 77 Now What? Hodir

I'm 77 Now What? Hodir
Current Wowcraft build: 3.3.2.

This is a continuation of a previous post, titled I'm 77 Now What? Tourney, in which I discussed the importance of Cold Flying (well, briefly), Tabards (slightly less briefly), and the Argent Tournament (significantly less briefly).

What else can you do as soon as you hit 77 and get your shiny CWF?

Hodir rep. Or, as I call them, Sons of Frostybutt. The main draw of this reputation are: awesome shoulder enchants (that are now bind-on-account!) and the 8k Mammoth-with-seats mount. This rep used to be a horrific grind, but when I leveled my priest and sent her through the Hodir chain, she did it all in a day. And got to... I think 1/3 Revered? And I had quite a few Relics of Ulduar stored up that I just turned in. So I really did the whole thing in a day. Which is almost really frustrating, for those of us who ground and ground and did dailies for days on end. But you know. It's nice, it really is.

To start the really long but totally neat Hodir intro quest chain, go to Storm Peaks, to K3, and find a little girl goblin that gives you a quest called They Took Our Men! That's the Wowhead link, and I recommend that you follow the quest chain there, it's very well documented. Did I mention the chain is long? It's a long quest chain. But it's GREAT. Don't rush through it. Discover it, especially if this is your first character through this content. The only thing I would add is a note on how to do: Thrusting Hodir's Spear.

Many people hate this quest. It really isn't terrible to do. If you've played FF12, you'll know what I mean when I say, "Set up gambits in your head. If [these conditions apply] Do [this action]. If [other conditions] Do [other action]."

HOW TO WIN AT HODIR'S SPEAR:

Get the wyrm.

Phase 1: Alternate 1 and 3 to keep your grip up.
When the wyrm Swipes (yellow text on your screen), then and ONLY then should you 2 (Dodge).
If you see DODGED, then and ONLY then should you 4 (Mighty Thrust).
If you 2 and 4 is still on CD, don't worry, just 1-3 1-3.

Phase 2, get at least 10 stacks of 1 before going for the kill. If you miss, get 3 more and try again.
Good luck!

Or, in gambit/sql form:
If DODGED, Do 4.
If Swipes at you, Do 2.
Else, do 1-3.

(Humans will read that list backwards, as such: "do 1-3 repeat until Swipe = do 2, if Dodged = do 4.")

It might take you a pass or two to learn the fight. But I did this every honkin' day on my warrior, and I know I died less than 5 times to it. This was back when grinding Hodir took forever. You might only have to do it once. I guess technically you could even skip it. But why? It's fun! You get to ride around on a giant drake and stab it to death in midair! This is the stuff they write old Greek tragedies about! And/or comedies. And/or epic poems.

Moving on.

The Hodir quest chain has, hands-down, THE BEST, the most fun, quest in the entire game. You fly to the really tall mountain in SP and duel big blue chicks on moving drakes and shove their corpses into the clouds below. Then jump to another drake and do it again. Yeah, it sounds pretty gory when I say it like, but honestly? Best. Quest. Ever. When people say "Blizz really made awesome quests for Wrath," this is the quest they're talking about.

DO IT.

Also the xp is pretty sweet. And sure it'll take you a while to save 8k for that mammoth, but! Seatsmammoth. Seatsmammoth. Everyone will love you for carting them around. You might even be able to sell rides to take people's alts around to flight points. Or maybe you'll just do it for your friends and guildies, out of the goodness of your heart.

Ok it's pretty late here, so I'll just wrap up by saying: remember to do at least one Random Dungeon every day, for your Emblems of Triumph, do your Tourney dailies every day for the phat xp and sweet cash, and if you keep chugging through quests (or if you just grind dungeons), you will find yourself 80 in no time. And then it's a whole bigger ballgame.

No comments:

Post a Comment